An API is a software intermediary that allows two applications to talk to each other, such as phone apps or software programs. APIs work via a specified set of inputs, protocols, and programming instructions to achieve certain outputs. They may be publicly available, allowing developers to build upon established platforms, or may be private, used only internally at a company.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Understand how APIs support the integration of multiple systems
- Understand API debugging tools
- Identify the difference between web-based and custom APIs
- Evaluate how offering or using an API may be a way to serve customers needs
- Develop a “Hello World” program against a WordPress REST API
- Perform a WordPress REST API exercise