A web browser is a software application for retrieving, presenting and traversing information resources on the World Wide Web. An information resource is identified by a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI/URL) that may be a web page, image, video or other piece of content. Hyperlinks present in resources enable users easily to navigate their browsers to related resources. Although browsers are primarily intended to use the World Wide Web, they can also be used to access information provided by web servers in private networks or files in file systems.
Essential Skills & Abilities
- Understand browser and device/platform usage distribution among the site’s target audience
- Identify aspects to be evaluated addresssing security, usability, and browser-specific limitations
- Evaluate and articulate which elements of a site needs to be tested across browsers and platforms
- Prepare testing matrices to evaluate compatibility
- Perform debugging using third-party and built-in developer tools